V-Twin Carburetor Upgrade

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
so i put a the next size richer needle jet and the factory needle back in clip in the middle and a 300 main jet and it runs really good there is still a flat spot. now i have to make something to use as gauge on the gas pedal to measure where the slide is in relation to the pedal. anyone got any ideas on how to do this without crashing kinda hard to look at the gas pedal and drive at the same time

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
ok riddle me this.... I changed the oil yesterday and measured the oil that i put in. I put in 40oz...it calls for 46-48 i filled the filter before i installed it and that oil was part of the 40oz it shows as being totally full on the dipstick i have checked to make sure that the engine is as level. When i moved the dipstick tube out it may have been moved but up not down.....WTF

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yep 48oz with dry filter, put in the other 8oz and remark the stick. its all about the right volume.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
now i have to make something to use as gauge on the gas pedal to measure where the slide is in relation to the pedal. anyone got any ideas on how to do this without crashing kinda hard to look at the gas pedal and drive at the same time

What?

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
to try and figure out where the slide actually is in relation to pedal position. to determine where the flat spot in acceleration is happening

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
the oil is at the level it was when i dumped it and im sure i just filled it until it was full on the stick when i changed it the last time and i have now put a level on the bottom of the engine mount plate and across the top of the fan shroud and thd engine is not quit level its about half a bubble off towards the dipstick which woukd give a false reading but by that much oil i find hard to believe

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
Got it :thumbsup:
Flat spots not off idle?

yes not off idle when running it jumps right to 4k rpm and has a flat spot but once it recovers from it i runs right up to 5500 and would go further if i let it. what i dont know is how accurate the tach is i am just assuming its correct or close.......there is a small hesitation off idle i have a couple more pilot jets buf its idles and its small if i were racing and needed to not have hesitation i would have probably spent the extra $ for the accelerator pump

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
if it was the clutch wouldnt the engine still rev up and the belt slip....how would i even be able to figure that out? im pretty sure its the carb still...i think its the main jet but not knowing the slide position for sure its kinda hard to know. the slide is at wide open before the pedal is on the floor i looked with a mirror and pushed the pedal down

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
if it was the clutch wouldnt the engine still rev up and the belt slip....how would i even be able to figure that out? im pretty sure its the carb still...i think its the main jet but not knowing the slide position for sure its kinda hard to know. the slide is at wide open before the pedal is on the floor i looked with a mirror and pushed the pedal down

If the slide is wide open how does the pedal, sorry, petal go down any further/farther?