1973 Harley Davidson Golf Cart Won't Run Above Idle

Floyd Hoffman

I just purchased a 1973 Harley Davidson and know very little about these golf carts. The first time I drove it for only a few minutes and it seemed to run fine. Today I drove it for about 2 minutes and it seemed a little sluggish. Then I stopped to switch drivers. The other driver stepped on the throttle and it started fine, but won't run above idle and would not move even with the throttle fully depressed. I checked the cable connection to the carburetor and it seemed fine. When the throttle is depressed all the way I could see the cable moving the throttle plate full open. When at idle, if I'd rapidly pump the throttle it would intermittently move forward 2-3 feet at a time. Any ideas from you experts on what is going on?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Are you sure the engine is running at idle or is the starter just turning? bad or water in the fuel, i would start with the fuel system.

many possible issues with those older 2 cycle carts

Brian in Tucson

If you lock the brake pedal down, it will run at idle. I would check the diaphragm on the fuel pump on the golf cart for leaks, put it back together with a little rtv. The cheap chinese carbs can be made to work, mine had a leaky fuel pump.