1999 G16A Back firing and cutting out

Discussion in 'Yamaha Gas' started by eddie664, Aug 12, 2017.

1. eddie664

eddie664 New Member

I have a 1999 Yamaha G16A gas golf cart. We've owned it for about a year and haven't had any major issues. Recently it started back firing and cutting out. It almost seems as if it's happening after it gets warm (about 5-6 minutes of drive time just far enough that I'm screwed haha!)

The air filter is less than a year old and new, it has a new spark plug and doesn't look like any fuel or air leaks. So my assumption is carburetor.

It appears the carb is kind of a pain to get to since there is bolts on the bottom side of the air box.

Is there any gaskets or common things I should look for once I dive into the carb? Obviously, I'll make sure there's no crud in the jets or dirt in it.

Thanks for any tips.

2. Luis Biaggi

Luis Biaggi New Member

These back firing are typically an indication of the mixture or timing is incorrect. I have a G23, and I noticed a lot of back firing when the choke was left on after hot, so check this part and the "butterfly flap in the carburator to ensure is not stuck. Also, ensure your air filter is clean despite replaced last year. Your carb may also need some adjustment (if applicable) or a good cleanup. I fly airplanes and was told that back back firing is caused by too much fuel entering the piston exploding when making contact with the hot cylinder surface while the intake valve is open.

3. Zman

Zman Member

the throttle plate is most likely sticking open either because the stop screw is too far in or the shaft is sticking or worn. When you let up on gas pedal fuel keeps going into intake and engine backfires out exhaust.