2008 Yamaha Drive Electric 48 Volt Stop Running Intermittently

Discussion in 'Yamaha Electric' started by MikeBusher, Sep 8, 2017.

1. MikeBusher

MikeBusher New Member

During a round of golf the cart will occasionally intermittently stop running. It sometimes will not go after I've stopped for a golf shot or at the tee box. I do not turn off the key when I stop during a round. The voltmeter reads 48 volts, but when I step on the accelerator nothing happens. So I switch the run/tow switch on and off, wait 30 seconds, and sometimes this cures the problem, but more often recently, it does not help. So I continue to switch the run/tow switch until it resumes running. The problem continues to occur more and more often. The dealer repair tech came out for another problem and replaced the main controller ($400). That did not fix this intermittent problem. Has anyone seen this problem?

2. Zman

Zman Member

when you step on the gas pedal do you hear a click? with the key off and the brake off push on the cart and see if you hear a click. If neither I would check solenoid wiring /connections and speed sensor connections. $400.00 sounds light for a factory main controller , are you sure that is what the tech changed?

3. MikeBusher

MikeBusher New Member

When I step on the gas and the cart is working properly I hear the click. When the cart is not working and will not move and I step on the gas there is no sound.
    I watched the tech replace the controller. (maybe it was not a new one). Problem is, when it's working all is good. When it's not, there is 48vdc on the dash meter but nothing in the drive train works. ie no solenoid clicks, no movement etc.

4. Zman

Zman Member

Sounds like the start/stop switch isn't working. remove the floor panel around the gas pedal, inside you will find a switch that has a plunger that falls down when gas pedal depressed. if it sticks nothing will come on.

5. MikeBusher

MikeBusher New Member

Thanks Zman, turns out it was the solenoid. Intermittent I guess.
    MikeB
    But now it's the charger that tits-up. Looks like lightning smoked the component where the power comes into the device.
    Oh well ....$300 for a new charger.

6. yamahaguy97

yamahaguy97 Member

Wow tough luck man :thumbdown: