2011 EZGO RXV Power Trouble

Discussion in 'EZGO Electric' started by Chuck Arrington, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Chuck Arrington

Chuck Arrington New Member

Try make it short as possible. I'm have power trouble with my EZGO RXV golf cart. The golf cart was modified with piece a 2" flat brace across under seat above motor for my sub to sit on which its under my back seat. We hit a bump with the golf cart with people on the back seat and the brace crunched some wires on top of the motor. I had to splice and solder all of them back. Worked great. Few days later my daughter ran batterys dead I assume. I plugged in the battery charger like always do. The next day or so I go to use the golf cart and it has no power. The lights work and when I turn key on the volt meter works but only shows half charge. I assume the meter is working. When I turn key I hear no noise from solenoid or anything. When I put the golf cart in reverse I hear nothing. Hit pedal and nothing. I checked the batteries and 3 of 4 charged one had 11.2 volts so i charged that one battery now all the batteries are charged but same thing. Ive heard I need reset computer but I'm thinking thats not going be it? Or even how to. Could it be one my wires off motor came unsoldered and has a bad connection? The wires are not easy to get at without taking the whole back off. I thought I would here solenoid click regardless if the motor is connected or not? Sorry so long hippie told everything.

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

It's hard to say for sure but lets start with battery voltage. What is the total battery pack voltage with and without the throttle pressed. You need to figure out why 1 battery didn't charge when you charged the golf cart.
    As far as no power have you checked for a blown fuse? I would also check your soldering job on the wires going to the motor. If any of those wires shorted you could have blown the controller on the golf cart.

3. Chuck Arrington

I checked each battery I took the piggy backs off. All but one read over 13 volts and 1 read over 11 volts. I charged it and it took a charge with my own charger. I didn't try the foot pedal yet Ill do that when get home. I forgot about the fuse is there only 1 and i got find it. Hopefully thats what it is and not that damn controller. After soldering I put heat shrink wrap on it and all so it shouldn't be exposed. I'll check after I test the fuse because it's pain to get to.. Thx

4. Chuck Arrington

Oh and the one battery that read only 11 volts one cell was really low on water. I actually added to 2 cells if that had something to do with it..

5. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

No problem. Let me know if you're still having trouble starting a thread.

6. Chuck Arrington

Ok I looked everywhere for a fuse, no where to be found I even googled where it would be and still can't find it. I have headlights volt gauge only goes half way use go full and i have no sound or power to motor and hear nothing from solenoid. No reverse sound i hear nothing. Batteries have power. The charger connects blinks then few minutes goes solid green.

7. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

There should be a fuse on the yellow wire from terminal A on the key switch to B- on the solenoid. I'm not sure if that fuse is under the seat or behind the dash. If you trace the yellow wire on the key switch to the solenoid you'll find the fuse.

8. Chuck Arrington

Ok thanks, I'll check tomorrow night. The fuse is going be behind dash thats only place I couldn't see. I'll have figure out how get behind there. Thx a ton again. Check n tomorrow night.

9. Chuck Arrington

Sorry worked late last night. I traced yellow wire from solenoid to the key. I couldn't see wires once they went under floor board but when they came out in front I traced to the key and no fuse anywhere. When i turn key on the battery meter comes on but half way so has to be getting power I would think.

10. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Try turning the key on and off and see if you get power to the post on the solenoid the yellow wire is connected to.

11. Chuck Arrington

Now that's where I'll have call a friend I am no good with a meter. I could do the batterys but this i dont want to mess up the controller unless you want to explain what to put the meter to and where put the positive negative at. Thx

12. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

If you want to do a quick test without using a meter run a jumper wire from the yellow wire on terminal A of the key switch to B- where the yellow wire is connected to the solenoid and see if the golf cart runs. If it runs you'll have to find the fuse in the yellow wire.

13. Chuck Arrington

Do i disconnect the yellow wire from both sides and put jumper whete yellow wire was or can i leave yellow wire connected?

14. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

You can disconnect it but you don't have to. Put the run tow switch in the tow position first, then run the jumper wire and flip the switch back to run and try it.

15. Chuck Arrington

Never mind, I disconnected the key switch and use jumper from where yellow wire went at key to the selonoid. I assume the yellow wire is the only wire that makes cart run. Idk what the rest those wires do but ill try it.

16. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

The yellow wire sends the power to the solenoid when you turn the key on and press the throttle. You can leave everything else hooked up to the key switch and run the jumper from A1 on the key switch to B- on the solenoid.

17. Chuck Arrington

Ok I disconnected the key switch and put the jumper wire on prong with yellow wire that goes to the solenoid where yellow wire is hooked to solenoid. I got nothing and meter didn't register either.

18. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Ok I think you need to call your friend that has the multi meter and have him test if it's getting power to the key switch and the solenoid. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

19. Chuck Arrington

If I plug the key switch back in the battery meter on the golf cart works but only goes half way for some reason. I know those batterys are charged fully I did put a meter on each one of them the other day and the battery charger runs fur couple minutes then goes solid green meaning charged. I have no clue about the controller or if thats it. I need check the wires on motor to make sure they didn't come undone where i spliced them and I dont have enough wire to resplice them. I don't know if you can open the motor up and add new wire to it or not.

20. Chuck Arrington

Buddy came by said getting power through yellow wire. He not sure what's gong on..i appreciate ya help