98 E-Z-Go TXT running issue

Discussion in 'EZGO Gas 4 Stroke' started by Thc200409, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Thc200409

Thc200409 New Member

Just bought the E-Z-GO TXT with a running issue. You have to find the “sweet spot” in the pedal to get it going and it takes a couple minutes. Once running 3/4 pedal is max for it. Full throttle and it runs rough.

Last owner said he would take it to a guy, he would tinker with it and it would run fine for 3-4 weeks then start with issue again. Said he replaced the fuel pump and filter. Never replaced the carburetor.

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

I'd start with adjusting the valves. There's a post in the EZGO resource section of the forum with the details on adjusting the valve lash.
    Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Thc200409 likes this.
  3. Thc200409

Thc200409 New Member

Ok thanks. I’ll try that.

4. Thc200409

Thc200409 New Member

Ok I tried that. One was way out. Seems a little better but still does it. When I say a little better it got going quicker than when the guy did it the other day. It still chugs at full pedal though. Also seemed to have to restart the whole process when I let off the pedal all the way.

5. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

The next step would be to do a compression test.

6. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

Was the one that was way out an intake? very common for the head of the valve to suck up into the head.

HotRodCarts likes this.
  7. Thc200409

Thc200409 New Member

It was an exhaust.

8. ScottD1

ScottD1 Member

What do you mean by sucked up into the head? Doesn't the seat prevent that? Or is there no real seat? Thanks newbie to these carts here!

Thanks

9. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

The head of the valve gets soft and curls over, they do have seats.

10. Thc200409

Thc200409 New Member

Cleaned the carb and put SeaFoam in the gas. Has gotten a lot better. Probably just going to buy a new carb.

11. Thc200409

Thc200409 New Member

Two questions, both about the battery. First, how much does the battery play in how the cart runs?

This is a project, going slow because I’m never home. I don’t have a stereo on it at the moment but will be putting one. I’ll be adding lights as well. Second question is any specific brand recommended to help with running the extra stuff (lights, stereo, etc.)?

12. country

country Member

the battery shouldnt affect the running of the motor only how quickly it spins over and there are plenty of after market lighting kits to choose from make sure if you are planing to have a street legal cart that you buy a complete kit with turn signal switch and everything and go with led lights they last longer