Basic cart drag racing rules......

TerryH

Ok gentlemen, I'll go out on a limb and start this discussion for real. I think we need to come to some sort of agreement about rules that we can provide to the tracks so they see that we have rules in place that are geared toward being safe. In my opinion, this can only help us to promote what we are doing with the tracks and hopefully encourage others to build carts and to join us.

Basic Golf Cart Drag Racing Classes and Rules

Stock: Carts running elapsed times of 13.00 or slower.

Stock body and chassis. Seats, steering must be in stock location and remain stock appearing. Wheelbase remains stock. Golf cart rear end mandatory.

Required safety items:

Long pants, long sleeves, closed toes shoes, helmet required. Seatbelts not required but encouraged.

Pro: Carts running elapsed times between 12.99 and 10.00.

Can be stock body or modified but must retain the golf cart front cowl and rear fenders. Wheelbase can be altered to 90” maximum. Center steer and center seat configurations are allowed. Tube chassis allowed. No suspension allowed. Golf cart rear end mandatory.

Required safety items same as stock plus these additional requirements:

Seatbelts, fire jacket, and gloves required. Arm restraints not required but encouraged.

Super Pro: Modified carts running elapsed times of 9.99 and faster.

Stock or modified wheelbase with modified stock or tube chassis. Center steer and center seat encouraged but not mandatory. Must retain the golf cart front cowl and rear fender panels. Wheelbase 125” maximum. Golf cart rear end mandatory.

Required safety items same as Pro plus these additional requirements:

Full roll cage covering the driver and 5 point harness required. Arm restraints and neck supports, fire pants and shoes not required but encouraged.

Opinions welcome. I figured we had to start somewhere.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
That golf cart rearend rule is gonna be a real pickle...
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

athomas03

T, I like that for a start. The old rules have been the norm with a few exceptions.......when Parsons came to KY the first time, we knew what is cart was, but no one was opposed to letting him race. I personally am competing against myself (best ET ) and any other cart similar to my setup, but do believe there will have to be some guidelines for the sport & tracks. Right now we are like a big girl wanting a date
rotflmao.gif

TerryH

The guys that race just need to come to some sort of agreement on what the rules should be. It is my personal opinion that we don't need to form an assopciation or have a sactioning body but a general set of rules is something that I feel we need to have so everyone knows what is required.

I'm seriously not opposed to live axles but if you consider a tube chassis cart with a live axle, there is not much left that would be considered a golf cart in my opinion.

I just wanted to give us a starting place for a rules discussion.

The floor is open....

oddpowers

Cartaholic
I don't realy see a need for classes.

Just a thought, but maybe a GC body is required, and it should have either a golf cart chassis, or a golf cart rear end.(or both)

TerryH

So live axle is ok with the golf cart chassis and a golf cart rear end required with a tube chassis?

I just tossed the classes in to make the safety items required a little easier to divide up. Obviously a 17 second cart doesn't need the same safety measures in place as a sub 10 second cart. I'm still hoping that it will grow to a point that we need classes at some point.

dirtysouth

Just race. The tracks will set guidelines as y'all grow. Just don't let some dumb ass show up and run something obviously unsafe.

dirtysouth

Would a luge be able to run if it has a gc rearend? I think a 204 volt luge would certainly impress. Leather suit and helmet and yer all safety'd up, yes?
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
ya gotta have different classes and some rules or you'll never get others interested or you'll piss off others that build something and then someone comes along and makes up rules and then they gotta change up what they built. the different classes can run all together for now to see if it grows. the first thing people ask before getting into something is what are the rules
dazed053.gif
...Well,,there are none
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

I'll shut up now, i had just thought there was a end goal to all of this, i keep readin' that the Racers need to make the rules
dazed053.gif
not sure what classifies that? O' wait! this guy races golf carts so he'll know whats best
tongue.gif

Sorry, just seems funny to me but what do i know, i'm just involved in other kinds of racing..Hell, i drag :censored: behind me with a chain... Soo
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
rolleyes.gif

kickcan.gif

TerryH

I actually agrree with you again, Kelly. What's up with that?

It is my opinion that classes with rules for the classes is a basic building block for any sort of motorsport. Who should make those rules? Well, the answer would usually be the sactioning body but in this case no sactioning body exists. Forming one opens up a complete can of worms as the sactioning body could concieveably be held responsible and should have some sort of liablity insurance in place at the very least. A board of directors or at least some elected or appointed officers would also be necessary. It doesn't appear to me that we are any where close to putting any of that in place so I'm not sure who is more qualified to form rules than the racers at this point.

I'm open to whatever and it's not like we have to have rules to go racing but going along with no rules what so ever can not be a good thing long term.

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
i like the idea of classes

i think a 10.00 et cart should have a cage and harness

sounds like the tracks that Yroy has set up to the races at are good with having carts run without much safety....

i think they catogories could go as follows

stock under 72volt
super stock 72volt + stock chassis (not suspension)
prostock 144+ stock chassis (not suspension)

Pro Mod tub chassis open voltage

i like the idea for now we all race eachother in bracket racing with a dial in
thumbup.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well if there's no story to tell then there's no problem? I wonder why its a secret
dazed053.gif