Battery replacement questions

Discussion in 'EZGO Electric' started by Patrick L, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Patrick L

Patrick L New Member

Early 2001 Std TXT 36v series manual F/R switch.
    Question. When its time for battery replacement can 48V be used without modification ?

Question. If so, I think I'd rather install 4-12v than 6-8v ? Any opinions ?

Question. If 48v can be used, what gains could be expected ? Or, what harm ?

Thanks. Pat

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

If your EZGO has the stock Curtis controller it's only rated for 26 volts so you would need to upgrade it and the solenoid. You'd be better of using six 8 volt golf cart batteries instead of for 12 volt batteries but either would work. The 48 volt upgrade will increase speed and torque and no harm as long as the controller and solenoid are rated for 48 volts.

3. Patrick L

Patrick L New Member

Hmm, OK, thanks. That was my concern. I'm not sure if the controller is original, but, the cart does go 20mph and I don't know why. I'll try to find more info on the controller and solenoid. Those controllers are expensive little critters.

4. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

If it's a series cart and runs 20 MPH it has a replacement motor and possibly a upgraded controller. You'd need to pull the plastic cover off of the controller and take a look.

5. Patrick L

Patrick L New Member

When I thought the problem may have been the controller I removed the cover and took a look. Problem is, I really don't know what I was looking at and was looking for any damage/burns etc. It seemed fine and I stuck it back on. I think with the 2 ga wires and larger wheels it may go a wee bit faster which is fast enough I guess. Its already too fast for JoAnn as she tends to bump into things with it.

I've tried finding some more info on the controller with no luck. I re-did the motor and called the company [ they are in this area] but didn't have any luck there.

Thanks for the responses. P

6. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

No problem, you're welcome.