Chassis ground voltage problem 36v V-Glide 2002

Lloyd-ss

Is 6 volts to chassis normal?
I am confused about the chassis ground voltage of a 2002 36v V-glide. I bought it used a year and a half ago, put 6 new batteries in it, and later installed a new D&D 42A high torque motor in it. It has been working just fine.

I was installing an automotive USB charger adapter in the cart last night and was checking various voltages and am now scratching my head. There seems to be 6 volts potential to the chassis all the time????
Using the standard battery layout on the pictorial wiring diagram for the V-glide, with plus terminal of battery number 1 being red wire (+) to the forward/reverse switch, and the minus terminal of battery number 6 being black wire (-) to motor terminal S2, and also the white wire (-) to the charging socket, here is what I found.

Voltage from + batt #1 to - batt 6 is 36 volts. Good!
Voltage from + batt #1 to chassis is 30 volts ???
Voltage from - batt #6 to chassis is 6 volts ????

I see that the chassis is electrically isolated from the wiring and is not used as a system ground like in a car, but I thought the voltage from - batt #6 to chassis should be zero. But it checks 6 volts, no matter if the switch is on or off. I checked current draw through various cables and the most I got was 12 milliamps (leakage?), so its not like a serious short to the chassis.

Is this 6 volts to chassis normal?

I haven't started tracking it down yet, but will very soon, plus I have a controller and solenoids and reversing solenoid to install, and don't want to ruin them on start-up.
This might not have anything to do with it, but when I was hooking up the USB charger, I found that the lights were wired to + and - of batt #2, so they only had 6 volts. No wonder I thought they were burned out. I switched them to - batt #6 and + batt #5, to give them a full 12 volts. I also hooked the USB charger (made for a 12 volt car system) up -6 and +5 to give it 12 volts. Should these have been hooked up to +batt #1 and -batt #5 instead? Doesn't seem like it should matter since there is no chassis ground being used.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Lloyd

Lloyd-ss

Correction needed in the original post:
Oops, I see I made a typo in the next to the last sentence in the next to the last paragraph. I had originally written, "+batt #1 and -batt #5," which would have put 30 volts across the USB charger.
It should read ,"Should these have been hooked up to +batt #1 and -batt #2 instead?" This would put a proper 12 volts across the USB charger.
Lloyd

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can use any of the batteries as long as their paired together next to each other in series for 12 volts.