Club Car Precedent Gas Golf Cart Won't Start Only Clicked Replaced Solenoid

Discussion in 'Club Car Gas' started by Terry Wiens, May 17, 2018.

1. Terry Wiens

Terry Wiens New Member

2012 Club Car Precedent Gas Cart only "clicked", replaced solenoid, now getting a groaning when trying to start. I was giving my grandson a ride last week, cart was running perfect. Pulled into yard, stopped, then tried to move cart a few minutes later and got nothing but a "click". I was told it was likely solenoid so that was replaced this morning. Now when gas pedal is depressed, there is a deep groaning as though something is all bound up. Starter maybe? Something else? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Have you tested the battery? You could also try pulling the spark plug and see if it turns over freely on the starter.
    Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

3. Terry Wiens

Terry Wiens New Member

HotRodCarts, thank you. Yes, I did check the battery and it is ok. I will try the spark plug suggestion this evening. Thanks

4. Terry Wiens

Terry Wiens New Member

HotRodCarts, I finally got back to the cart this morning. Pulled the spark plug and still get the same "groaning", which I believe now is coming from the new solenoid. I guess I'm not positive that I wired it back up correctly so there is a picture here if someone can confirm it is right. The blue wire is going to the ignition and the orange to the starter which is how I am reading the wiring diagram I found.

Attached Files:

5. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

I would jump the two large terminals with a jumper cable first and see if it turns over, if so you will know if the starter is good:twocents:

6. Terry Wiens

Terry Wiens New Member

Nubs, with the battery cables still connected? Could you explain a little more please? Thanks

7. Terry Wiens

Terry Wiens New Member

Ok, I jumped it, nothing different. Still getting the "click" and the "groaning" from the solenoid.

8. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

You need to jump the two Large lugs, by doing this you will be eliminating the solenoid all together so it will not make any noise at all.
    the left and right studs in this picture, your solenoid may look different but its the same concept..

2010-07-09_001327_8596broncostartersolenoid.jpg

9. Terry Wiens

Terry Wiens New Member

Finally got back and had time for the cart again. Jumped the posts as you indicated in the picture and still nothing. The brushes on the starter are pretty worn. Could that likely be the problem?

10. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

If the connections are clean and tight then the brushes etc would be my next move:twocents:

11. Terry Wiens

Terry Wiens New Member

Thank you. I'll try that.