EZGO Express S4 Won't Run at Full Throttle

Discussion in 'EZGO Electric' started by Tyedar, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Tyedar

Tyedar New Member

Hello to all. I'm new to the forum and making my first post. If I went about this the wrong way, please let me know. Some forums don't like new members to make posts right away. I searched my problem on the forum, but I still can't figure it out.

My initial problem with my 2011 48 volt EZGO Express S4 cart would go forward if the pedal is barely depressed. When at full throttle, it would not run. I had no problem going in reverse. I was told my controller was bad. I sent it off and had it refurbished. I put it back on and now the cart will move approximately 1-2 feet in forward or reverse and stop. The reverse buzzer will go off and the cart will not move in reverse or forward. I reset everything and the same thing happens. I was then told my solenoid was "dropping out". I was told how to test the solenoid. I jacked up the cart and used a jumper wire between both large contacts on the solenoid and put the cart in forward. The wheels turned in forward and reverse for as long as I did it. I then tried to drive it and again, it will not go past 1-2 feet without shutting off.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Did you drive the cart with the jumper on the large posts of the solenoid? Form what you're describing it sounds like it may be the solenoid but could also be the controller.
    You may want to consider buying a service manual so you can run all the troubleshooting test.
    Welcome to the forum.

3. Tyedar

Tyedar New Member

Hi HotRodCarts. Thanks for replying. After reading your reply. I put the jumper wire back on and it went approximately 20 feet in reverse before I stopped it. I put it in forward and it began to move, then stopped. I put it back in reverse and nothing. No beep and it didn't move. I reset it and put it in reverse. It beeped and went in reverse approximately 10 feet and stopped on its own. Everything died again. I reset it once more and put it in forward. It started to move then died. I put it in reverse and nothing and no beep. I will get a service manual. I downloaded an owner's manual already.

4. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Let us know what you find after running the tests in the service manual.

5. Tyedar

Tyedar New Member

Hi HotRod Carts. I got the service manual and by checking it, it shows the solenoid was bad. I put on a brand new solenoid from ezgo and now I'm back to square one. It is doing the exact thing it was doing from the beginning whenI was told the controller was bad, going in reverse and forward. It would go in forward with the pedal barely pressed. Press it all the way it cuts off. I put on another controller and it does the same thing. Now I have tried 2 controllers and solenoid. I read Mustang57's thread and I saw you asked him to check the ITS. I did that today and it appears to be good. The micro switch clicks before the plunger enters the ITS like the article in the resource section said it should do. I'm still working on it. Any other suggestions?

6. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

By placing the jumper on the large posts of the solenoid and having the cart still not run correctly you eliminated the solenoid being the problem. If the solenoid was bad the cart would have run with the jumper on the large posts of the solenoid. The service manual should have testing procedures for the ITS that will test it through its full range of travel. That's the test you need to do next.

7. Tyedar

Tyedar New Member

HotRodCarts. I tested the ITS. It showed to be bad by the tests in the service manual. I bought a new ITS today and put it on. On jack stands, it ran fine. I barely pressed the pedal and it went fine in forward. I pressed the pedal a little more until I reached full throttle and it went fine. It did not cut off. I pressed the pedal quick, hard, and fast and it went fine in forward. I was so happy!! Yea!, it's fixed. I put the cart on the ground, backed it out of my garage, put it in forward, barely pressed the pedal, and it went fine. I pressed the pedal a little harder and it died, cut off. I reset it and it died again.

I can't figure out why it run fine on the jack stands and not on the ground. I guess it is under load on the ground and something is pulling down volts somewhere.

Thanks for your help. I am going to take it to the shop and say, call me when it is ready. I hope it does not cost me an arm and a leg, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks again.

8. Tyedar

Tyedar New Member

Hi guys. It’s been awhile since I had my issues with my cart. Sorry for the delayed update. I just realized I forgot to update you guys and thanks for helping me. I got caught in a storm with my cart on an open trailer for several hours. Some how water got into my motor and a lot of problems started happening. The end results were I got my motor rebuilt, new batteries, and changed a lot of electronics which was one fault code after another until I got a rebuilt cart. It works fine now. Thanks again for your help.

HotRodCarts likes this.
  9. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Glad to hear you got the golf cart running again and thanks for the follow up.