EZGO Gas Golf Cart Backfiring and Won't Run

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes most times because the coil is grounded but it needs it own ground. You say new cables, the frame needs to be grounded to the battery and the engine needs to be grounded to the frame. is that what ya got?

Austin

My brother just let me know that when my dad messed with the flywheel a lot, he passed away so we don’t what he did exactly, could this be something?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes, the flywheel controls when the plugs fire, thought you said that you checked the ignition timing?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Would need a timing light, since your Dad messed around with the flywheel I would start there. Pull the flywheel off and see if the key is on the shaft and if it lines up with the keyway on the flywheel. If it does the timing is going to be right as there is no adjustment for it.
Make sure the pulser coil is tight also

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes, pull the plastic fan shroud and unbolt the fan. then remove the nut that holds the flywheel on, will need to pull the flywheel with 3 jaw puller. tighten the puller up and then give the bolt on the puller a wack with a hammer and it will pop off.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Can use a steering wheel puller also., may be a safer way to go if you have never done it before:twocents:
image.jpg

Zman

Cartaholic
I ran across an ezgo that the crank gear locating mark was wrong. You line the key way up in line with mark on engine and the cam gear mark with notch in rear cover.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yep, that gear is only pressed on with no locating key. that's why i told him to line up the marks @ TDC and see where it all lands, said he did so if that gear had moved it would not be on TDC.

Delvilla

As far as I know if you remove the rocker cover and look at the cam lobe positions, the valves that are on the rock, ie one just closing and the other about to open, the other piston/cylinder is on the compression stroke.