EZGO Spark Plug Eater

Discussion in 'EZGO Gas 2 Stroke' started by cwinkslinger, May 13, 2018.

1. cwinkslinger

cwinkslinger Member

I have an 86 ez-go 2 stroke that will run on a fresh plug for about an hour..then quits. Change the spark plug and it runs for another hour and dies again. New plug runs for an hour and stops. What do I do to fix this?

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Are you mixing oil in the gas or still using the EZGO pump? How much compression does the engine have? Are you sure it's not losing spark for other reasons? Have you tried one of the old spark plugs after it stops running?

3. cwinkslinger

cwinkslinger Member

Still using the ez-go oil injection. Compression at 110psi and runs strong when the plug is still new. I use a spark plug tester that shows strong fire while cranking, so it never loses spark going to the plug. Yes, I tried the old plugs, but once they quit, they won't fire the engine again. I'm thinking maybe a ground issue...? Thanks for the fast reply.

4. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

What king of spark plugs are you using? Are they the right heat range?

5. cwinkslinger

cwinkslinger Member

ngk bp4hs . Proper heat range...I made the assumption they are the proper range...don't really know.

6. Diode

Diode Contributor

Post a picture of the spark plugs

7. Diode

Diode Contributor

Try using A BP4HS-10

8. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

I would disconnect the oil injection and run premix fuel, those systems seldom work right after 30+ yrs :twocents:

HotRodCarts likes this.
  9. cwinkslinger

cwinkslinger Member

I found a loose/corroded connection on the engine ground, cleaned it up and it seems to have cured my problem. Many thanks for the help and suggestions.