EZGO steers farther left than right

namyot11

I just acquired a 2006 EZGO TXT 36 volt. When turning the wheel to the left the wheels turn sharply, when turning to the right the wheels don't turn much at all, maybe half of the normal position. I figured the cure would be to turn in the ball joint that comes out of the steering rack, but it is already turned all the way in. Not sure what to check next. Could the gears inside the rack have jumped out of position? steering seems smooth otherwise.

namyot11

I'm sure it would be easier to replace the whole steering rack, but is there a way to recenter the gears on the existing one?

gornoman

Try shortening one tie rod end while lengthening the other one. Someone may have played with these as a way to center the steering wheel, and that’s not how ya do it. If it won’t center up for you there may be bent components in the suspension.

namyot11

I thought about messing with the tie rod ends too but they look like they are even right now as if no one had adjusted them at all at any point in the past. I was kind of afraid I would mess up the alignment too

gornoman

Alignments on these carts are done at home with a tape measure. You should have 1/4” toe-in for best response.

namyot11

Thanks for the replies, haven't got a chance to do any more on the cart today, hopefully will get back to it tomorrow.

namyot11

Been a while since my last post, but here is what resulted. Adjusted the tie rod ends as far as I could, still turned much farther to one side. Returned tie rod ends to their original position. All I could figure was that the rack must have jumped some teeth. Ordered a new steering rack assembly, adjusted the rack ball joint so that the steering was centered, problem solved.

I am planning to take apart the old rack and pinion apart at some point to see if I can return the rack to the proper position, then I would have a spare or a part for a future project.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Good to hear, post pictures of the old rack when ya get it apart.

We like pictures:hattip:

namyot11

It's not on my radar to take it apart in the near future, but I'll try to remember to post pictures when I do it!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad to hear the new rack fixed the steering problem. There's a diagram for the EZGO steering box in the Resource section of the forum.