Going To Look At a Used Club Car Any Tips On What To Look At?

Discussion in 'Club Car Driver's Club' started by WTFOBrassmonkey, Nov 5, 2017.

1. WTFOBrassmonkey

WTFOBrassmonkey New Member

Good Morning all.

I am going to look at a used 1993 Club Car tomorrow, any tips on what to look for? It is an electric cart, but has bad batteries. Obviously, that means I cannot test drive it. Of course, that makes me a bit nervous. What tips would you experts have on what key points to look at. Are there any well known problem areas that I should check? It is lifted. I am not sure what lift was put on it. The current owner says that it has 6 Trojan t105 batteries in it now. So, I'm assuming that it is 36 volts. They said it drove fine until the batteries went bad. It also includes the charger. Should I take a multimeter with me, and what should I check? Frame areas of concern? It has a back seat added as well. I plan on using it while camping and to tool around the neighborhood.

Thanks in advance.

2. qwik

qwik Member

With bad batteries you wont be able to check much if anything with the electronics. If the batteries have some voltage you should hear the solenoid click when you press the go pedal. Check the frame under and around the batteries for corrosion Club Car carts have an aluminum frame. The rest will be the basics. The price would have to be low considering you are going in blind with the bad batteries.
    :welcome:

3. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

I'd agree with everything @qwik said. Also check for play in the steering, dry rotted tires, and eyeball the front tires to see if there's camber issues.
    It's tough buying a electric golf cart with bad batteries because you won't know what surprises you'll find one you put new batteries in it.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes. Welcome to Cartaholics.

qwik likes this.
  4. WTFOBrassmonkey

Well, I picked it up for less than the asking price. Put new batteries in and........Nothing. After a bit of study into the included manual and wiring diagrams, I'm not sure how that thing ever moved. It was a rat's nest of nonsense under the seat. I couldn't take it anymore, so I went to the local cart place and got a new key switch, a solenoid, and a bit of each factory colored wire. A few hours later and it's alive!! Took my kids for pizza and they were happier than if we would have ridden in a new car. It's not fast, but it gets the job done for now. Next comes making it slightly less ugly!!

5. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Congrats on the new golf cart. Sorry to hear the wiring was a mess but good job jumping in there and straightening it out.

6. WTFOBrassmonkey

Body is ok. Obviously dirty and faded. It has a few scratches from the previous guy taking the decals off. Hopefully I can use some filler and primer and get a decent paint job laid down on it.

2017-11-09 10.28.50.jpg

7. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Looking at the picture it appears the body is in good shape. As long as there's no cracks in the body you should be able to fill the scratches.
    Any idea what brand and model the lift kit is?