Golf cart paint question

kraig

hello,
I painted my golf cart this weekend and as per the duplicolor instructions I put the clearcoat on right after the paint. It’s acrykic laquer paint and clear. Well needless to say it turned out badly. My question is can I salvage it or can I scuff it up and apply new acrykic paint over the clear.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It' would be hard to say if you can salvage the paint job without seeing the golf cart. You should be able to sand it and paint it again.

kraig

Ok. So your saying that worst case I can hit it with some 200 grit and some 600-1000 grit then paint again right over the stuff that didn’t turn out?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
What is wrong with it, is it just dull or did it orange peel? 200 is way too course on green paint, you'll never get the scratches out.

kraig

Gotcha. Well it just looks splotchy. I’ve painted many times before and for some reason this just turned out splotchy. Not it’s got no peel but splotchy. Hard to explain.
Check out this pic. You may be able to see it

Attachments

• 22CDC854-1C94-4BE6-B1E1-02CA63D5784D.jpeg
    22CDC854-1C94-4BE6-B1E1-02CA63D5784D.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 20

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Did the base color good on and cover well? i'm not a duplicolor user but all clears that i know of need to go on very wet and with a 50% overlap. If the base color was fine i would just sand the cowl as a test piece with 600 and reclear it. the warmer the air temp the faster it will dry on ya, you can always go back and wet sand a run and buff it out after it cures a 100%

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
That's what it looks like from here, master the front end first, then mask it off after it cures and do the back. way to much real estate to shoot @ one time using spray cans in my opinion:hattip:

kraig

Or I could just use the paint and not the clearcoat lol. I’m apparently not up to the task yet.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
that's my :twocents: , your usin it to cap wildlife anyways so why the need for the shine

kraig

So since I just painted this a week ago with paint and clear, if I want to just go over it in another color should I still prime it?

kraig

Well I have decided to go back to another color anyway. So will that laquer acrylic paint and clear be suitable to just spray paint over.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes but you'll need to ruff it up bit with 600, i would still do a test spot to make sure the new color will not lift :twocents: