Hello Cartaholics! Vanguard or Honda Engine for My EZGO Workhorse

Discussion in 'Big Block Golf Cart Conversions' started by Oneoldjimmy, Jun 10, 2018.

?

Which would you choose?

1. Vanguard 23 hp

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Honda gx690 22hp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oneoldjimmy

Oneoldjimmy New Member

Hello Cartaholics! Thanks for having me! FNG here, picking up my first cart tomorrow. A '97 EZGO Workhorse, with a cab, doors, power dump, lift and 24" tires. Has the 350cc motor in the bed. Apparently someone put the wrong splug in the motor and popped a hole in the piston, so....

Now you know why I am posting in the big block section. Fabricator, sheet metal worker by trade, power junky since I was in diapers.

Now here is the question.
    Vanguard 23 or Honda 22 hp gx690?

Looking to retire my Can Am Outlander, and build the horse into my trap league ride, pit cruiser at the race track, hunting rig, and neighborhood hotrod for running around with my kiddos. Not looking for top speed, but great torque, and reliability. I dont mind working on stuff, but dont want to have to wrench on it everytime I use it...

So which would you choose, and why?

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

I'd go with the Vanguard. Way more aftermarket parts for them.
    Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

3. Oneoldjimmy

Oneoldjimmy New Member

Left in stock-ish form, do you feel like the vanny is just as reliable as the Honda?

4. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

I'd say a stock Vanguard and Honda engines are pretty equal on reliability. :twocents:

Oneoldjimmy likes this.
  5. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Sponsor

Both very reliable. Honda is cold blooded, have to choke the :censored: outta them. Vanguard doesn't require choke to start.
    Like rod said, there are tons of aftermarket parts for vanguard

Oneoldjimmy likes this.
  6. Oneoldjimmy

Oneoldjimmy New Member

Being that I do live in the Tundra of Mlps... easy starting is a plus!