Just Picked Up a 1968 Pargo and Need Some Information

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers Electric' started by Pargo, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Pargo

Pargo New Member

As the title says I just picked up this 1968 Pargo from a guy that had it nearly 30 years. Its in great shape but needs a little work and I need some information about this golf cart. Right now Im trying to get the batteries to hold a decent charge. A few cells were low and its charging very slowly. I may need to change a few of the batteries.

So does anyone here have a Pargo like this that can give me some pointers on them. You know stuff you learned over the years of owning one.

Also would like to find some photos of the original top (with measurements since I'm sure Ill have to make it) also any accessories that came with it. I plan on making it as period correct as I can.

The last photos shows the charger after charging a fairly dead cart after about 2 hours. Is it normal to only be charging at about 6 amps?

Thanks
    Daniel

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Nice clean old Pargo you have there. :thumbsup:

Check out Vintage Golf Cart Parts if you haven't already. They have a lot of information and parts for Pargo golf carts.
    Vintage Golf Cart Parts Inc.

Welcome to the forum.

3. Pargo

Pargo New Member

So Im still having battery problems and Im trying to figure out what exactly the issue is. I picked up a hydrometer and tested all the cells. About 1/2 are in the middle. 3 cells are in the green and the others are borderline ok.

I charged it for about 7 hours yesterday and got about a 20 minute ride out of it. The charger is only charging at 6-8 amps. Is this normal? I think its a 30 amp charger so wouldn't it charge much higher if the batteries were that low.

Also, Im sure Ill have to replace some or all the batteries. Can anyone suggest some good batteries that will last at least an afternoons (10 miles+) putting around that will also not set me back more then $700 or $800 for the set of 6.

Thanks.
    Daniel

4. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

If the batteries are weak your best bet is to replace them all. Trojan, US Battery, Deka and Interstate are all good batteries. The best way to test the batteries is to either have the pack load tested or test the batteries with a digital volt meter at rest and while driving the cart.
    I don't know much about the charger you have so I really can't answer that for you. Normally the amp meter will start out at the max amperage of the charger and slowly go down as the batteries charge.

5. Pargo

Pargo New Member

Thanks Hotrodcarts I think thats what Ill have to do.

So I charged it for over a day and still it only lasts about 20 minutes. I think the charger is working but Ill take it to the local shop and have them check it.

Anyone here have an old Pargo?

With good batteries what can I expect out of a full charge?
    How low will it last and for about how many miles?
    How does it do on small hills?

Just trying to gauge if its worth dropping another $800 on a set a batteries.

Thanks.

6. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

With good batteries on a old resistor Pargo you should get at least 15+ miles or 1 1/2 - 2 hours total run time. Terrain will play a big roll on actual run time also.

7. Pargo

Pargo New Member

If I can get 8-10 miles on a full charge then it works for us. Thanks for the reply.

Guess I need to pull these batteries out and replace them. Yipee!!!

8. Pargo

Pargo New Member

Just pulled it off the charger and 5 batteries are over 6 volts. One is 5.22 volts. Total volts is 39.9. ???

Ill check again tonight to see if they degrade.

Also I noticed when I took off the charger I could hear bubbling. I know they bubble when charging but it seems pretty loud. Is that normal?

9. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Yes the bubbling (gassing) is normal. I would say the battery that's at 5.22 volts is shot. What is the exact voltage of the other 5 that are over 6 volts?
    Here's a chart that shows what battery voltage should be with good batteries.

[​IMG]

10. Pargo

Pargo New Member

I tested again and the 5 that were above 6.4 to 6.8 have all dropped a little. Now they are 5.9 to 6.2. The one battery that was 5.22 has gone up to 6.4. Total voltage is 37.2.

I just noticed that 3 are bulged on the side. I cant really see the sides of the other 3 without pulling off the body.

Below are some pics of the batteries. After about 2 hours off the charger I still hear bubbles but not as loud. Also several batteries are wet on top. I check the water level and they all look good. About 1/8" below the fill tube.

IMG_1763.JPG IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1765.JPG

11. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

With the voltages you're posting I'd say you need new batteries. Also the batteries in the cart now are all mismatched which isn't good.

12. Pargo

Pargo New Member

Ill pick some up this week. I was just hoping it was something else or I could try and revive the old ones. Thanks everyone.

13. Pargo

Pargo New Member

Suggestions...

So Ive got a few options. I need them to last at least 8-15 miles/about 2 hours plus and we have small hills everywhere around here. Nothing major just small rolling hills.

6pcs Interstate = about $900 w/ exchange
    6pcs Powertron = $450 w/ exchange
    6pcs Trojan T105 = $630 w/ exchang

They also have 8V batteries.

Can I use these without modding the cart???

6pcs 8v Powertron = $510 w/ exchange
    6pcs 8v Trojan T875 = $640 w/ exchange

14. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

No you need to stick with 6 volt batteries on that cart. If the price you posted is for NEW Trojan T105 batteries I'd jump on it quick. I just paid $800 for 6.

15. Pargo

Pargo New Member

The ad says they are new batteries.

16. Pargo

Pargo New Member

The difference a new set of batteries makes. I picked up a full set of Trojan T105 for $630 + tax. I had to drive to the distributor but thats a pretty good price so no big deal.

Runs so much better and is charging normal now. Ill post pics tomorrow.

HotRodCarts likes this.
  17. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

That's a REAL good deal on the batteries you did good on them. Thanks for the follow up.

18. Pargo

Pargo New Member

Finally out and about in our 68 Pargo.

Still lots of little things to do. I want to change the steering wheel back to the original or something at least period correct. Also ditching the hub caps for the old chrome moon caps. And will paint all the black back to the correct white. Im still trying to find a better headlight solution, something that looks more 60's.

Attached Files:

19. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Definitely a nice clean looking Pargo. You don't see many anymore. :cool:

20. Pargo

Pargo New Member

Looking for an original steering wheel. Will buy outright or trade the Grant wheel in the photos above.

Thanks.