Need help with my 91 Yamaha G8

Discussion in 'Yamaha Gas' started by Bill burgess, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Bill burgess

Bill burgess New Member

Hello all, I have a very clean 91 Yamaha G8 Gas Golf Cart and have a question. It starts fine and runs fine but I get some vibration upon starting up and taking off. Once driving, it seems to not vibrate but always when taking off. It’s been a while since I've owned one of these and was wondering if this is normal or should it take off smoothly like a Quad. I’m thinking motor mounts or clutch but how do I narrow it down or is this normal procedure for one of these. Thanks in advance, Billyzack

Attached Files:

2. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

I think i would put the rear on jack stands and run it, watch to see the clutches shift. it may help pinpoint the problem, should be smooth through out the engagement and shifting.

3. Bill burgess

Bill burgess New Member

I will try that. What do I look for? I just replaced the belt. What would it do if the motor mounts were bad? Same thing?

4. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

Did it vibrate before the belt change?

5. Bill burgess

Bill burgess New Member

6. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

You should be able to feel the vibration with your hand, make sure the drive clutch is not wobbling etc. a bad mount may cause it but not likely in my opinion.

7. Bill burgess

Bill burgess New Member

Would a bad motor mount cause the same problem?

8. pbillyi69

pbillyi69 Active Member

That's a great idea

9. pbillyi69

pbillyi69 Active Member

i had two bad mounts before i swapped my engine to the big one and i didnt even know. it didnt shake or vibrate nothing

10. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

If the mount is bad you would be able move the engine by hand, acting as it would be loose.

11. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Sponsor

Yamaha's have always shook/vibrated on take off. The single cylinder tends to thump under starting load. Club Cars did it too but not as noticeable :twocents: