Need Suggestions For Motor Controller and Lift Kit For Hunting Cart

Discussion in 'Lifted Golf Carts' started by carthunt1, Aug 21, 2009.

1. carthunt1

carthunt1 New Member

Hey guys, great site! I have two 02 EZGO TXT golf carts. I need suggestions on the best setup for hunting off of it. Lift Kit, controller, motor upgrades? Probably gonna part out one to pay for the other. Any suggestions?

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Welcome to Cartaholics.

Are these PDS or Series carts? If your not sure, where is the forward and reverse switch located?

3. carthunt1

carthunt1 New Member

Series carts i believe, forward /reverse located below the seat in the middle.

4. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Ok it's a series system. I'd say to upgrade to a Alltrax 500 amp or 650 amp controller (650 amp recommended for hunting), 4 guage or bigger on ALL cables, heavy duty White Rodgers 586 solenoid and heavy duty buss bars in the forward and reverse switch. That may be all you'll need/want. With these upgrades your ready for a motor upgrade if you need it. The D&D Stealth Stalker is a killer torque motor and great for hunting carts. The GE Beast is also a very good motor with a lot of torque. If you plan on the motor upgrade your best bet is to go with #2 welding cable on all cables.

5. carthunt1

carthunt1 New Member

ok thanks! also, with the upgrades do you think i could get by with using the stock motor or not? also what lift and size tires would you recomend?

6. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

The stock motor on the series carts are pretty bullet proof and can take a lot of abuse. It all depends on the terrain but I'd give it a shot before spending the money on a motor. After you do all the other upgrades you can always swap the motor if your not happy.

For the new style EZGO steering like your cart has I like the Allsports drop axle lift and 22x11x10 for hunting. You can go with 23x11x12 but I like the 10 inch wheels on a cart that's going to be used mostly off road and for hunting. Theres more sidewall to protect the wheel and you get a little softer ride, either will work though. Allsports sells package deal lifts that come with tires and wheels. If your going to be hauling deer on the back of the cart you may want to add heavy duty springs to the list.

7. carthunt1

carthunt1 New Member

man thanks! i willl let you know how things turn out !!!!!

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Tennessee Squire

9. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Keep us updated. :thumbsup:

10. bgoodbuggies

bgoodbuggies New Member

If you get the 650-amp controller you should get the 600 amp heavy duty solenoid. They are hard to find because thee isn't a lot of demand with most carts stopping in the 400-500 amp range. This solenoid is rated for 600 amp continuous / 1200 amp peak. It has hughe 1/2" terminal lugs. You will need your battery cables on the solenoid end to be fitted with 1/2" terminal lugs. The solenoid is absolutely humongous. I have it in my series cart on a 700 amp controller and have no issues at all. If you aren't going over 500 amps, I would say you probably don't need the 600 amp solenoid, but that's one component you won't have to worry about burning up.