Not Fully Charging

Inkstaind

Hello, and thanks for any advice you can lend.

I just did some work for a guy who payed me with a 2007 EZGO Xpress golf cart. He said everything was working fine, just needed one new battery. I put the new battery in and immediately the meter showed fully charged, all bars were lit up. About a minute later it went back to just the first and second bar blinking. The golf cart drives, but very slowly and could barely get back up my driveway.

Can someone lead me in the right direction, what would you think is the issue?

Also, it has a high a low speed. When functioning properly can anyone tell me how fast this cart should go? It's street legal and he said 30mph, but I find that hard to believe.

Inkstaind

Sorry, meant EZ GO.

A little more info, I did hook up to charge and confirmed the connection, and battery connections, etc.. There is a meter under the seat with 8-10 charging bars as well and it also never left the first bar.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd start with letting it go through a complete charge cycle then load test the batteries. Chances are if one was bad there's others that are weak.
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Inkstaind

Thanks for the help, I will check it out. Not really sure how to do a load test, but I will google it. Another interesting note, I did charge it for several hours and the meter under the seat did move up the scale, but the one on the dash did not, here's a couple pictures, see attached. The image on the right is the next day after charging, showing the meter under the seat bottomed out again.

Something else was strange I noticed as well, when I attached the charger today out of curiosity the meter under the seat was back to the bottom again, and I heard what sounds like Rice Krispies does when you add the milk.
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1890.JPG

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
The meter on the dash probably does not reset until you hit a certain high voltage you need to leave the charger on for 10 to 12 hours and then see where everything sits load test is a good idea it sounds like your batteries are bad

Glen Batchelor

Those krispies are tangy. You'll hear the cells off-gassing when charging at a high rate. Sounds like fizzing, some bubbles popping, etc. You're reversing a pretty powerful chemical reaction when you high-rate charge deep cells so it's not silent. If the cells make no noise at all and do not fizz, you have dead batteries.

Inkstaind

Thanks guys for the help. So even though the previous owner said there was only one bad battery, I decided to double check all the others, and unbelievably they all low on water. The minute I filled all the batteries with distilled water the meter on the dash went to full bars. The cart still won't go more than 2-3 miles per hour and struggled to get back up my driveway :( Then later I check again and the meter was back down to 1-2 bars.

Glen Batchelor

Those cells are probably beyond recovery if they were more than half exposed to air for a long time. Time for new batts.