Street Legal Golf Cart Ohio Laws

slim67

Im looking at trying to make my golf cart street legal and have found out a lot already about the laws. Do any of our Ohio members have a street legal golf cart? If so, I was hoping you can share your info and experiences. :thumbsup:

dougmcp

The Ohio Legislature provided for title and registration of LSVs in the 2002 legislative session. The vehicle must meet NHTSA standards for LSVs. All LSVs must have either a manufacturer's certificate of origin (MCO) that specifies that it was manufactured to Federal LSV standards, or a Federal Standards Sticker that indicates it meets Federal LSV standards.

cueman

OK Folks, After reading most of the previous about licensed golf carts for roads, it still didn't mention Ohio one way or another, plus, that was from 1998. Does anybody have any idea if you can get plates to use on secondary roads in Ohio, Stark County? You would not believe the runaround I got from local DMV. I'm buying a used Club Car Carryall 2 and only have a receipt from previous owner and don't have a clue how to get a title for this, even after asking at the title office. Please Help! Thanks, Jim

Cart Sports

Here in Florida, you would take the bill of sale, vehicle and related paperwork to the DMV for inspection. After it passes, they would issue a title and a VIN number, along with a plate.

cueman

Thanks Cart Sports, Our DMV is telling me to go to Police Station with bill of sale. Police Dept. so far, didn't have a clue. So tomorrow I will try the Sheriff's Office and see if they can help me. Seems like some people around my town enjoy making ya jump through hoops. :yes: cueman

slim67

Good luck. theres a lot of stupid people working at the BMV. i had to really use smoke and mirrors when i wanted to register mine as an APV.

pmyers8

My golf cart was never previously titled. The Sheriff's dept. filled out an inspection form. I then took that form and a bill of sale to the Title office. It is titled as an underspeed vehicle. Limited to 20 mph. Took the Title and inspection form to the BMV. Sandusky County Ohio