Question on grounding 12v accesory outlet

Discussion in 'EZGO Electric' started by Victor Arango, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Victor Arango

Victor Arango New Member

Hello,
    I am new here. I have a 2017 Express S4 and want to install a 12v cigarette adapter. The cart is 48v, there is a DC to DC convertor and from that, I see the fuse block. I plan on using an empty slot on the fuse box with a 10amp fuse, I'm runnin the positive lead to that fuse connection.
    Where should I connect the ground wire? Is the best place to connect the negative post of the last battery in the series? I don't think I should ground to the chassis .
    Thanks!

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Yes you should hook the ground to a negative post on a battery. Where are the rest of the accessories grounded? That's where I would hook the ground. Just make sure you don't have more than 12 volts.
    Welcome to the forum.

3. Victor Arango

Victor Arango New Member

Thank you!

4. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

No problem, you're welcome. :hattip:

5. Glen Batchelor

Glen Batchelor Active Member

I cut a piece of 6061 alum flat stock, drilled and tapped it to make a grounding strip with 3 machine screws for attaching ring terminals. It's mounted behind the dash under the cowl and only for dash accessories. That's run back to the 12V converter, which is fused off the battery pack. I also converted the key switch to a 12V primary switch for the fuse block. It runs a solid-state relay for the 36V controller power. It's much easier to use that key switch as 12V switching than trying to handle 36.48VDC->12VDC relay switching. If you only have a few grounds to combine under the seat then consider an alum rivet to attach ring terminals together. Bolts tend to corrode faster since they hold water in the threads.