Replacing rear end gears in 1990 club car DS electric

Discussion in 'Club Car Electric' started by Beagler, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Beagler

Beagler Member

Does any one have a step by step directions on replacing rear gears in a club car DS. Going from stock 12:1 to 15:1 Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance. Happy carting! :usa:

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

There's a thread on the forum somewhere from a few years ago with a step by step on installing gears in a Club Car. I'm not at home right now and searching on my phone is a pain. Here's a Club Car rear end diagram that will probably be all you need. It's pretty straight forward to install the gears.

[​IMG]

3. Beagler

Beagler Member

Thank you hot rod I found that diagram but the one you forwarded is much more clear. You had mentioned that thread but I searched with 0 luck but then again it is easy to miss a topic .. In no hurry and am actually planning on pulling rear out of another identical cart I have so I can take my time and still have the other operating. Thanks again.. :usa:

HotRodCarts likes this.
  4. Beagler

Beagler Member

well finally had time to get back project. Decided to pull rear and axle assembly out of spare cart and that will be the one I put high torque gears in. Question how well sealed are the electric motors . Would be a lot easier to pressure wash all the grime off if there was not a major concern about motor. Of course I would try not to hit it directly... Are there gasket kits when reassembling or can you recommend a gasket sealant like permatex or RTV caulk. What about lite grease on the new gears just for assembly ? Probly will pick at it evenings . Thanks All:usa: Have a great week

5. Beagler

Beagler Member

Finally got back to project. Next step removing bearings and gear and installing on shaft.. Don't own a press or puller any suggestions ?Might look for a machine shop. gear 17 and 19

Attached Files:

6. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

I think finding someone with a press would be your best bet.

7. Diode

Diode Contributor

OK I just have to ask did you lay a board across the toilet seat for workbench

8. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

LOL... that's the back of the cart but i can see what your seein' at a glance.

9. Beagler

Beagler Member

Hot Rod use Buddies press in his shop , Went well fairly easy will install gears this week end. Diode couldn't use the toilet for work bench because I was sitting on it at the time. But now that you mention it if I had two toilets and a 2" x 12" it could make a nice low profile bench! Never under estimate redneck ingenuity !:rotflmao: Nubs very observant ! Thanks guys have a great weekend .
    :usa:

HotRodCarts likes this.
  10. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

:rotflmao::thumbsup:

Glad to hear you're getting 'er done.

11. Diode

Diode Contributor

12. Beagler

Beagler Member

Project complete! Observation! Cart moves noticeabl slower. (Expected) Slows down on hills more but proportionally to speed reduction. (Not expected but Makes sense) Has a low growling sound similar to a truck with a 2 speed rear in low range. (Not expected but makes sense) On hills tested this cart handled with stock gears at higher speed but after climb coils and wires noticeably warmer and actually coils were hot . Not so with lower gears. Have not had chance to test with another person hounds and hunting equipment . Need to challenge some steeper and longer climbs just to test the torque. Take note, this conversion is not recommended for joy riding unless you just want to crawl around in the woods. It also would make a great utility vehicle. It should be able to tow quite a load. Stay Tuned! Question would any one have an opinion on putting 90 weight gear oil in the rear end instead of straight 30 as recommended. Blaine :usa:

13. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

I know a lot of guys run 90 weight gear oil in the EZGO's with no problems so it should be fine. It will probably help with the noise also.

14. Beagler

Beagler Member

Thanks Hot Rod I thought the same as far as noise is concerned . I was not expecting that and a bit disapointed because I lost the stealthiness.
    In the past I have been able to drive right up to deer and even turkey . (How ever it makes perfect sense.) Low end gears often have a whale or growling sound at least in a lot of older equipment I have owned.! When doing this project I used motor from spare cart more as a test to see its condition (Same model #). Is there a reference where it indicates the function of each post on 90 ds 36 volt motor. Just Curious?

Thanks Again :usa: