Smoking 95 Club Car DS?

Discussion in 'Club Car Gas' started by LostinBaja, Jul 6, 2018.

1. LostinBaja

LostinBaja New Member

I recently picked up a 95 Club Car DS with a FE-290 Kawasaki.
    When the engine warms up, it smokes (oil) like crazy when accelerating away from a stop, it acually gets a detonation knock it's that bad.
    The engine makes good power and has about 155lbs. compression. The spark plug isnt really wet with oil.
    Anybody have any ideas?

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Have you checked to make sure the engine isn't overfull of oil (check it with the engine hot)? What kind and weight of oil are you running in it?
    The older Club Car golf carts with high hours have a tendency to carbon up the piston and the valves from burning oil and can cause the detonation also. You can try running some seafoam in the gas to help clean up the carbon.

3. LostinBaja

LostinBaja New Member

I pulled the engine out this evening. I'm going to check valve guides/seals along with the breather reed valve in the head.
    I have even run the oil on the low side and it made no change in oil burning. the oil is 10w40.

4. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

Sounds like the muffler may be full of oil, may have been on its side at some point.

HotRodCarts likes this.
  5. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Let us know what you find after you take the engine apart.

6. LostinBaja

LostinBaja New Member

I took the top end of the engine apart today. It looks like a reman engine is in my future. The cylinder/piston wear is amazing. I think all the oil in the bore is why it had such good compression. Does anyone have a recommended engine rebuilder?

7. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

@Nubs knows his way around the gas golf cart engines.

8. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

I would think a place that works on landscaping equipment would be the safest bet, i would stay away from anything on ebay:twocents:

9. LostinBaja

LostinBaja New Member

Doe anyone know where the best place to purchase Kawasaki engine internal parts? I was thinking about rebuilding my cart engine myself, but finding the correct parts is proving to be a bit difficult.

10. Nubs

Nubs Cartaholic

11. LostinBaja

LostinBaja New Member

The engine in my cart is a FE-290D-DS05 and nobody lists it. I'm sure it has to share parts with most other FE-290 engines, but which parts?

12. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

I believe any of the internal parts would be the same. I would ask whoever you order from before ordering. Buggies Unlimited carries FE290 engine parts or you could always get them from a Club Car dealer.