Thought on Voltage reducers

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers Electric' started by Jay Burger, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Jay Burger

Jay Burger New Member

Finally got eveything dialed in and working good ( Knock On Wood )...pulled 12 volt lead from battery #2 to feed the fuse panel I installed for lights, horn, etc...My buddy has a voltage reducer on his cart for 12 volt accessories...Is there an advantage to using a reducer as opposed to just pulling 12 volts from 2 batterys ?

2. HotRodCarts

HotRodCarts Cartaholic

Yes, the advantage is your batteries won't get out of balance if you draw power from the entire battery pack instead of 2 batteries. Using 2 batteries is fine and you can always switch batteries your hooked to for 12 volts or charge the pair separately occasionally with a 12 volt battery charger if they do become out of balance.

3. yamahaguy97

yamahaguy97 Member

Also, just to mention, it's "ok" to use 2 batteries if your cart is a 36v system, but it creates a burden on them. If it is 6x8v 48v system sure you can try 2 batteries, but it won't last long. Your stuff will burn out eventually. But like HotRod said if you use a reducer it draws equal power from all batteries and does not focus on 2 and weaken them. I am kinda a stickler about using a reducer, so I would say always use one....unless you have a gas cart of course :thumbsup: lol