Yamaha G9 Golf Cart Basket Case Project

Clayboy

Just picked up this basket case Yamaha G9 basket case golf cart today. Going to look at it for a while and think about what I really want it to be. I know I want BIG power and REALLY BIG tires and wheels. Please post what you think what would go good with it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Looks like a diamond in the rough!! Glad to see you picked up another cart. I don't deal with many Yamaha's so don't know what to suggest. I'm sure others out hear will give you many ideas. Have fun!!

Clayboy

Thanks HRC, All I really wanted was a donner cart. It has a good body (no cracks or gouges) and a good rolling chassie.

Clayboy

This rebuild will go on for a very long time. I plan on taking lot of pix so when i'm done I could put it all together and it would be a "how to" book with alot of "how not to do" mixed in. Not in any big hurry for now cause I don't really know what I want.

Clayboy

I haven't even thought of a paint scheme yet, but will prob stick with black and blue. They are my favorite. I'm sure I will be surching for a power plant for a while, cause nothing has really sparked my intrest yet. I got the old motor out today to get some measurements so I could see what would fit. I was quiet supprised to see how much room I have to work with.

Clayboy

Got a little more dis-assambled today (only have an hour or so free time). Ready to roll it out and get buisy with the pressure washer. Might get that done this weekend, but I got to do some shopping around for parts and ideas.

I kinda like the go-cart look but I want this thing in the air. I would like to go at least 26" tires or bigger if I can find it.

Clayboy

Have not thought alot about colors yet. It will be dark though. Whatever I decide, I will be painting myself. This one will be my first. Found a brand new Devilbiss paint gun for 5 bucks a while back and am wanting to try it out. If I had to start painting today, It would be black and blue.
Cart is stripped down to rolling chassie now and waiting on motor and front suspension. If I can't find something I really like for a motor, I will go with a 23 hp Briggs. Going to an ATV junk yard today to look at some suspension stuff.

TheNewGuy

Ok Clay. All this talk in spriddles thread, it's time for an update. Even if you
haven't done any more on the cart yet! Show us some pics of your dog...
anything...LOL :D

Clayboy

Ok, You got me. I haven't done any thing to improve the cart till I find an engine except for fabricate a custom front suspension so I can move it around, since it didn't have shocks when I got it. Most likely be a rough ride, but for the price you can't beat it!
What do you think?

Clayboy

Ok guys, I need some advise. I just got off phone with a guy that is getting back a new 18hp B&S side shaft. It was purchased by someone to put on a pressure washer and said it didn't work out, so he is returning it. It has no gas tank or muffler or govenor, but does have electric start. He said it would still have a 2yr garrentee. Is this thing going to be ok without a govenor?
He is going to e-mail me all the specs on engine size, so what excactly am I going to look for to see if it will work?

spriddle

Post Decoder
The heck with the governor. I remove all mine too. My foot is my governor. If it runs and a good price, go for it for sure. You would bypass/adjust the governor anyway when you got it installed. :cool:

Clayboy

Made by Briggs & Stratton

18 HP "CAUTION, NO GOVERNOR!!" Good for Cushman, see details below
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Number: 350447-1209
18 HP Vanguard NO GOVERNOR
Overhead Valve Design
Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve
Mounting: Horizontal
Electric Start: Yes
Fuel Tank: NONE, NO FUEL PUMP EITHER
Oil Capacity: 1.5 Quart
Oil Type: Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30
Shaft Size: 1" x 2-29/32"
Muffler: None
Made For: Great for Cushman Scooters!
Height: 17.2"
Depth (Less Shaft): 12.3"
Width: 16.1"
Shipping Weight: 95 Pounds

Condition: New
Warranty: 2-Year Manufacturer's Warranty
THIS DOES NOT HAVE A GOVERNOR IN IT!
YOU CAN USE THE SIDE COVER, CAMSHAFT, AND THROTTLE BRACKET ON THIS TO SET IT UP TO USE ON A LAWNMOWER!
1" x 2 29/32" Shaft, Vanguard, OHV, ES, 16 amp Alt
NO FUEL PUMP!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Price: $750.00
20 In Stock (Subject to Prior Sale)

Enter your zip code for personalized shipping charges! Shipping charges listed are to a business address.
Truck $49.95
Freight Charges to 47336
There is an additional delivery fee of $15 to a non-business address. A business address must have a sign visible from the road. Home-based businesses like most landscapers and farms are considered residential locations.

Picture may not be of the identical item.

No owners manual will be sent with this engine.

I think this is the one? I guess I am going to need a fuel pump too.
I know I can MAKE it work, but is this one going to cost more by the time I get everything I need?

TheNewGuy

I have no governor on my new B/S 18 hp. No problem, like sprid said, it's all
in your foot. I think this is the same exact engine I got with the kit. $750
is a GOOD price. :)

spriddle

Post Decoder
You will need fuel pump, key switch/wiring, engine mounting bracket, exhaust and muffler, possibly mod clutch (not sure), and a new set of drawers first ride you take. :)

Clayboy

Is the shaft size the same? The one that I am looking at is used for about 1 hour (salesman said). Shipped to my door for $400.00.
He said it would be back in about a week and when it shows up he will call me. We shall see what happens. Thanks for all the help.

spriddle

Post Decoder
$400 Is this engine/shipping/and all?? You better grab it quick if the engine is in good shape and runs ok!!! I can't remember shaft size. Ron may know for sure, if not, Keyguy will.

TheNewGuy

WOW....if you don't want it I buy it. I just talked to the guy at cartpartsplus
that is the right shaft diameter and length. Man that is an outstanding
price!!!

spriddle

Post Decoder
Cool!! Send me a link so I can check it out for you. I will let you know how it runs after I install it. LOL!! :D