End of my rope

yamahag16a

1996 Yamaha g16a gas cart....
It's become an obsession to fix my mothers campground golf cart.
I didn't know what I was getting into.
I've replaced alot of parts in the thing ...
ok...to get it to start:
-went into the electrical stuff first...started with bench testing starter/generator, tested battery both fine.....repairing bad wiring under the cup holder and
replacing solenoid seemed to fix it, then it wouldn't last...
you could drive it a lil ways then it would sputter and stall.
I started checking fuel...
replaced carburetor, fuel filter, and fuel lines....(all but one short section...didn't buy enough fuel line)
After carb replaced it ran well.....I took it for a test drive for a good 15 minutes taking it thru the paces....slight backfire in the exhaust once or twice, but it ran fine.
Went home.....got a call that they stalled out while taking it to the trash dump and wouldn't start....then they left it sit a bit and it ran enough to get them home.
My next thought was....Ignition Coil.
but I already had a new fuel pump on order.
Installed it yesterday started the cart with myself and mom on board....started up the road running fine....got maybe 100 yards when it sputtered and stalled....I pushed it back.

Question:
Could it be the Coil even if it stalls within a minute or two into the ride? ( I thought the signs of coil failure didn't show up until it was good and warmed up)

Thanks for any opinions ...I'm frustrated from thinking it's fixed and finding out it didn't last.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
If you think its the coil, when it quits remove the plug wire and see there is spark when you crank the engine.

Have you checked for good fuel delivery ? Could be even a non venting fuel tank cap.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I certainly like the ignition coil theory. I’ve worked on bunches of G16’s with the same problem and the coil is usually the culprit. I’ve even had some of them to where when I would stop to check for a spark, the coil had magically fixed itself (temporarily) and there would be a spark and the engine would run fine (for a short time). It will do its best to fool you. Good luck, Ron.

Dman2

If you got an inline spark tester and left it on while running it will all at once show no fire to plug. Any auto dealer or lawnmower dealer should have them. If you left it on you would always see the plug fire. Om my snowmobile in have 2 and it looks neat at night.

yamahag16a

Patrick L;
I found an issue with fuel delivery.
fuel filter wasn't filling....Blew thru fuel line leading to gas tank to be sure it was clear and discovered a crack in the pickup stem which the fuel line attaches to....so fuel pump was sucking air.....
replaced pickup and it started....took it for a ride and 500 feet into the ride it tried to stall......then did stall not long after.
I keep thinking I've fixed it (3rd time now)
1) replaced Solenoid
2) repaired and replaced much of the wiring behind cupholder area.
3) replaced gas tank pickup

I've done alot more, but those 3 things made it start to run again, only to crap out shortly after.
Took your advice and put a spark tester on it...ran it around and when it stalled and wouldn't start lifted seat real fast....checked while trying to start.....it sparked, but it was a yellow/gold spark.....not real strong.
even when it starts, it's a yellow/gold spark.
There's gremlins in this thing.

Dman2

If you run it in neutral you can lift seat and watch spark. Neutral halfway between forward reverse wheels will not turn.

Dman2

If with the tester you have fire I would pour gas in the cylinder and see if it goes for a bit.
If it goes my thinking fuel problem.

Zman

Cartaholic
The ignitor in side the coil gets hot and fails, you have ruled out the other possibilities so put in a new coil. Get a Yamaha Part not aftermarket!