Narrowing Yamaha G9 Axle

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
I was curious if anyone has narrowed Yamaha G9 axles. I'm doing a chain drive dual swing arm rear suspension like the sand rails guys run on rocks and hill climbs. I'm basically just using the main frame of my G9 and building a mini rail off of it. In doing this I could easily regear by swapping sprockets. I'd likely use #50 roller or 530 o-ring chain. Maybe #60 or whatever o-ring is equal size.
I basically just need the center section so I can have forward/reverse. I would need drive flanges as close to the case as I can. I assume it would be like shortening any other rear axle but easier? Iirc the tubes unbolt so couldn't I just shorten then to where I want and just cut the axles down and weld the flanges in the new position?
I want to do this mostly because I like building cool stuff but also because those sand rails amazed me with this setup. If you search chain drive sand rail on YouTube you will see what I mean. I know those guys are running 38"+ tires, I'd only be using 28-30" so obviously I wouldn't be doing things as crazy as them but on the trails we run my buggy would be a little monster for rocks and logs.
Picture included is the best I could find depicting what I'd like to build. Thank you guys for any insight.
pic 3.jpg

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
I'd also have cutting brakes like the big guys so retaining the differential would be a benefit aside from not having to figure out how I'm going to have forward and reverse and clutching etc.

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
I did find a video on red beards garage on YouTube if anyone is interested in taking on something like this. It's on his turbo diesel deuce build series, I'm not sure which video exactly. I think he used a club car axle but I'd imagine the same stuff still applies to any other transaxle. I may still take this on. My g9 is about to go under the knife, it was for sale and if it sold before I started cutting the body off that was going to be that, but it looks like I will be starting in body removal this week.

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
I feel like Yamaha must've been at the beach the day this cart was built, I'm sure they could've got a couple more pieces of steel in there somewhere. 🤣 🤣 🤣 didn't accomplish a lot except leaf blow it all off and clean all the trash that accumulated in the bed, I gotta stop using idle projects as catch all's. But we're on the way now. I'm sinking a brand new benchmark cut off wheel in that baby tomorrow 😋

Attachments

• IMG_20221014_163203396.jpg
    IMG_20221014_163203396.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 7

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There was a few Yamaha's back in the golf cart drag racing days that were running Briggs & Stratton and Honda engines. I think there's some build threads here in the Big Block section from other members also. I don't recall anyone breaking one.