18 HP Honda V-Twin Golf Cart Conversion

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
looking great
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
sprayin' metallic paint is very hard to do with spray cans or a gun, layin' the panels flat helps. 50% over lap, 8 to 10"s away and a mist coat at the end will even things out. wet sand the high spots and spray her again if your not happy, looks good from here
tip.gif

I sure do appreciate advise like this. Makes this site what it is, GREAT!
thumbup.gif
Thanks to everybody that's contributed so far!
tip.gif

I was asked earlier in the thread if I ever thought I'd be doing all this stuff to the cart when I bought it. Answer: no friggin way dude. But I tell you it has been an absolute blast and kept me sane through an insane time. I'm not old or anything, but when you get up around 40 you don't think there's too many more skills you're going to acquire, not so.

Gonna take another run at her tonight.
thumbup.gif

Well fellas I got to spend some time in my buddy's shop today and lookie what I came home with.....

2011-06-24_22-27-41_647.jpg

2011-06-24_22-28-37_756.jpg

yes.gif

Made a kick plate too and a bunch of other odds and ends for trim. The shear and brake I was using was big as the whole end of my shop. What a blast. My buddy Rick builds fire apparatus. So the lightest stuff he had was 1/8", but when I get it all bolted in she ought ta be rigid.
biggrin.gif

Good times
cool.gif

Getting an idea of how it's going to look when it's back together. Sure would like some black and silver seats. There'll be time to figure that out later...

2011-06-25_20-24-52_100.jpg

2011-06-25_20-28-27_188.jpg

2011-06-25_20-26-17_98.jpg

Hey, sorry I missed ya the other week. Work/travel schedule was a little more intensive than I anticipated, but next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'm gonna check you out. Be cool to jam with ya.
Later
cool.gif

Thanks y'all! Just pluggin along at it. Work getting in the way last week and next week, but I'll be thinkin on my next steps. Thanks for checkin out my thread!
checkered_flag.gif

Hey guys, just checking in. Been busy with work. Ive done a few things to the cart. I'll post some pics soon as I get a chance.

tip.gif

So I'm having some carb problems. Every once in a while after I've been out riding I shut down and a few minutes later gas has run right out of the breather, and not just a little. It also has some idle issues, backfire through the carb, and maybe some power issues throughout the RPM range, but I have grown accustom to the new motor and so the power loss part of it may not be the case. I have replaced the fuel line with appropriate material, confirmed the fuel pump is pumping, completely gone through the carb, and set the valve lash. I read the plugs and they look perfect from what I know they're supposed to look like. Plugs are black on the base of the threads, insulator for the electrode is light tan, and nice and clean at the electrode and the ground. the only adjustment I've recently made is taking two discs out of the exhaust tip because the plugs looked just a little too rich and it seemed to work great.

So if anyone has any thoughts as to what I should check next or consider I'm all ears.

I hope everyone is doing well and having fun out on the trails this summer, it's been a beaute!
yes.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
a friend may be lookin' to move out a mikuni that may work on that engine with a adapter
dazed053.gif
i'll ask what he's lookin' to get fur em.

Thanks men. I had some trash in there. Got it back to as good as it'll be fer what it is.

I'd sure be interested in a Mikuni pumper. Lemme know if he's got a deal on one.
tip.gif

OK fellas, I've been playing around with getting the ole Honda running right. Not that it was running poorly, but I knew it was a little rich after I re-jetted. I know it's better to stay on the cautious side of rich than to be too lean but after experimenting with the discs in the ST style exhaust tip, here's what I've come up with. If anyone would be so kind as to weigh in with a read on my plug pics here I'd be grateful. From what I know, they look just about right, but what the hell do I know!

DSC01831.JPG

DSC01833.JPG

DSC01834.JPG

Thanks fellas!
checkered_flag.gif