1998 Club Car DS Series Possible Electrical Problem

Dawgman

My cart stopped working and was advised to replace solenoid, potentiometer, and controller. I did however when I attempted to connect batteries, it sparked. I did not force that connection. I would figure it would not spark as all is off. Any thoughts?

Notsoslim

First of all it sounds like you got bad advice unless your cart was underwater. Very rarely would all of those parts gone bad all at once. It doesn't pay to just throw parts at something without knowing what the problem was to begin with. It sounds like you have hooked something up incorrectly if it was not doing that before you started. More info about you cart would help. Is your cart 36 or 48 volts? What are the 1 or 2 letters at the beginning of your serial number?

Notsoslim

I just realized you said you replaced the controller so it is a 48 volt cart. It would be a power drive or powerdrive plus cart. The easiest way to tell is by your forward and reverse switch. If it has a lever it is the series cart which is power drive. If it has a rocker switch it is regen cart with a sepex motor (power drive plus). Here is a manual that has wiring diagrams for both types so you can go over what you have done and correct anything not connected correctly. Depending on what cart you have the diagram is on page 13-14 or page 13-24. Good luck to you