3pg Engine Lost Compression, Rebuild or Buy Remanufactured?

dmos73

1990 EZGO Marathon with the 3pg engine, the golf cart was driven all summer without an air filter and now it has quit running and lost compression. Should I look at just rebuilding the top end, or is a remanufactured swap the way to go?

dmos73

I'm all about being able to save the money. Just buy the top end kit off amazon? I don't see any valves in any of these kits? Do you know of a kit in particular that is more complete?

big mack

Cartaholic
I am in the process of doing a top end on a 89 marathon I have a .5mm over size piston rings and gaskets kit coming. I have a young man that bores the jug out for me. while you have the engine out good time to check the reed valve the peddles are not closing I have new ones coming. There's a short video on u tube that shows you how to check reed valves. I am putting a new fuel pump on it to even though it's working. The pump is mounted on the back of the motor in a place thats not so easy to get to. Good luck

dmos73

So, I finally got around to the golf cart and I bought crank seals as well. I guess you need a puller to get the fan hub removed from the crank? Bolts that came with my harmonic balancer puller don't fit so I have to go to the hardware store to get the right bolts to fit the hub, assuming that my thoughts are correct.