Can I Install a Electric Fuel Pump on a Golf Cart

allis

Can I install a electric a fuel pump on a Yamaha gas golf cart. The engine needs rebuilt and is not getting enough vacumn and the owners do not want to put money into overhauling the engine. I want to purchase a 2 - 4 psi fuel pump and how would you hook up the electric power ? Thanks again. :usa:

allis

From the large post on selonoid that goes to starter so that it only runs when starter turns?:hattip:

allis

Another question Nubs on the electric fuel pump. I installed a after market carburetor on this Yamaha because I thought the carb was bad and this carb had a vent tube and gas was running out, was this because the of the elect fuel pump or just a cheap carb?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Hard to say, i seldom had any luck with the cheap carbs. if the plastic tab on the float that holds the needle is weak it will let the float push pass and allow fuel to run out the overflow.
I would try putting the old carb back on:twocents:

Ronald Beller

Nubs,
you didn't say which lug on which solenoid? I have two large solenoid and at least 3 large post \ wires that go tho the starter not counting the one from the battery directly to the starter.

Bendad75

I know this post is old, but I wanted to thank you guys. I'm in the middle of bringing a G2 back to life that I saved from rotting in a pasture after 10 years or so from what the previous owner said. I have replaced the carburetor, wiring harness, installed an electronic fuel pump, spark plug, and after I changed the oil and hooked up a new battery and battery cables, it fired right up! However, I had the hot lead for the fuel pump wired to the key switch...as you can imagine, it was always pumping fuel to the carb when the key was on and therefore flooding it out. Thank you for the instruction to wire it to the lead running from the solenoid to the starter/generator!!! It runs like a champ and there is no flooding issue now! On to new brakes and drums, paint, headlights and taillights, installing the lift kit wheels and tires, etc...hahaha

BSL

I'm relatively inexperienced (very inexperienced), but have been trying to troubleshoot a 1985 EZGO marathon that is starting strong but after a few seconds it slows to barely a crawl. I've replaced the carb and fuel pump, but am now noticing that there is very little gas in the fuel filter now. I'm wondering if its a compression issue with the 36 year old engine. Based on this thread I was considering trying an electric fuel pump. I'm noticing that most appear to be 2.5-4 PSIs, not 2-4 PSIs mentioned above. I'm assuming this minor difference is ok? Also, am I correct in assuming that the fuel pump would go completely replace the old pump. Thanks.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Not saying the fuel pump isn't bad but it's normal for the fuel filter to only have a small amount of gas in it. I'd do a compression test first before buying a electric fuel pump. You should also check the crank seals to make sure they're not leaking. The electric fuel pump you posted the specs on should be fine.

BSL

Thanks. The reason I was concerned about the lack of fuel in the filter is that it is noticeably lower than it historically has been, as in there is virtually no fuel in it. It used to fill up about a quarter of the way. I thought it was the carb or fuel pump because at first the fuel pump was flooding and leaking fuel into the air intake. With the replacement parts it seems the leaking has stopped but the power issue hasn't improved.

The cart starts up very quickly and strongly, but then almost, but not quite, stops. If I stop and start again, or turn it seems to get power again for a short time.

Zman

Cartaholic
disconnect your muffler from engine and drive it . If it corrects your problem you have a plugged muffler.