Starter Generator Rebuild

TVAN

Cartaholic
Starter generator rebuild looks pretty straight forward. I have 2 that need work. One is weak and won’t turn under load, my guess is needs brushes. The other has a noisy bearing. The replacement bearings I see online look like a pretty common bearing. I may even have one on hand. Spoke with a local automotive shop that rebuilds car starters and he said he doesn’t do these. Any reason I should be afraid to tackle? I feel pretty confident.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
As long as the brushes aren't worn to the point they scored the armature commutator I usually lightly sand the commutator with emery cloth and install new brushes. Yes you should be able to find replacement bearings easily. Let us know how it goes. :)

country

If you buy the aftermarket brushes I have had problems getting them to seat on the armature they come squared on the end and do not make good contact on the armature so I usualy use a dremmal to make the ends concave

TVAN

Cartaholic
I did notice they were square. I made sure the springs were compressing them tightly and all seemed good, it worked again. I did sell that cart and have heard nothing negative from the buyer, hopefully all is well. Thanks for the tip.:hattip: