Yamaha G14 Will Not Start

karp

My 1996 gas Yamaha G14 will not start battery is good, here's whats going on. I have 12v going to the ignition switch. Turn key on have power to accelerator stop switch but both wires have 12v plus when key is turned on. Have 12v at both small terminals of solenoid then when I push accelerator down I have no voltage to accelerator stop switch or small terminals on solenoid. Has anyone had a problem like this before. Don't know if accelerator stop switch is bad or do I have a short somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Karp

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not sure how/why there would be 12 volts to both small solenoid terminals without pressing the throttle pedal. If both small solenoid terminals have 12 volts the solenoid should engage and the starter would be cranking the engine over. I would guess the the stop switch is bad but I'm not 100% sure about that. Hang tight and someone else my jump in. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Zman

Cartaholic
So voltage goes to key , key on to start stop switch. when the pedal pushed voltage goes thru start stop switch to solenoid , which energizes and turns starter. Unless you have a start stop relay system in which the start stop switch turns on relay and it energizes the solenoid. either way the black wire on the small terminal of solenoid needs to be grounded. if you lose voltage when the pedal is pushed and no solenoid activation i would guess you have a real poor connection somewhere or solenoid coil is shorted out.

karp

Ok the only way it starts is to put a jumper wire to neg post of battery and neg small terminal on solenoid

Zman

Cartaholic
Sounds like you have a broken ground. look down low in front of engine. there is a 2 wire plug. make sure it is clean and connected. the black wire goes to engine ground the other is engine kill/stop. next ohm between frame and battery ground. if there is resistance you have no ground to frame and solenoid won't work. run a ground from battery to frame.

karp

Ok here is where I am at if i just barely turn key on golf cart will run. If I turn key all the way on golf cart will not run

Zman

Cartaholic
Yes jumper the switch , also wiggle check the connector for defect terminals were it plugs together.

karp

Do I jump the switch by jumping the Red hot wire to the Brown wire that goes to the accelerator switch

Zman

Cartaholic
Yes . i assume this is a 4 wire switch, if it is the 2 wire just jumper the 2 wires. You must jumper power to start/stop switch. if it loses voltage under load you have a poor connection between switch and battery power, IE wiring , connector, fuse holder and fuse .

karp

OK I jump the switch still nothing when accelerator is pushed still have just barley turn key to get it to go. If I unplug the forward and reverse switch wires it will still go forward and backwards checked all connections they all look good. Might have to just drive it like this. thanks for all the help

Zman

Cartaholic
I'm sure it is something simple, ohm check the switch terminals to see if it goes open when turned on all the way verses barley turning it. You may have the wrong wires you are testing.